What is Ephedrine HCL?
Ephedrine HCL is a medication and stimulant which is prescribed by the physicians for the treatment of certain medical conditions. This is taken by mouth or injected into the muscle, vein, or just under the skin. All of this takes different time for showing its effects.
What are the different forms or types of Ephedrine HCL?
This is available in the form of :
- Compounding powder
- Injectable solution
- Intravenous solution
- oral capsule
What are the other brand names of Ephedrine HCL?
Akovaz, Corphedra are the brand names of Ephedrine HCL
How Ephedrine HCL works?
Ephedrine HCL acts as a decongestant and bronchodilator and operates by reducing the swelling, constricting the blood vessels in the nasal passages and widening the airways in the lungs, which helps in breathing easily.
Where to buy Ephedrine HCL?
You can buy Ephedrine HCL from our store. We ship it worldwide. We recommend you to purchase it with a prescription as taking it without the guidance of a physician can make you face its server side-effects.
What are the uses of drug Ephedrine HCL?
Though it is not the preferred method of treatment, in certain cases physicians may recommend Ephedrine HCL for the following medical conditions:
- Prevention of low blood pressure during spinal anesthesia.
What is the dosage of Ephedrine HCL?
Ephedrine HCL has not been found safe and effective by US FDA and its labeling is also not approved.
The dosage for various cases are enumerated below:
- Use in adults for depression or Adams-Stokes Syndrome with complete heart block; as a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant in narcolepsy; hypotension; asthma and in patients with myasthenia gravis
25 mg to 50 mg IM or subcutaneously
5 mg to 25 mg IV administered slowly, may repeat in 5 to 10 minutes if needed.
2.The pediatric dose for the same medical conditions as mentioned above:
0.5 mg/kg or 16.7 mg/m2 of body surface area IM or subcutaneously every 4 to 6 hours.
Ephedrine HCL Overdose:
Taking more than the recommended dose or taking double douses leads to serious consequences and the poison control center needs to be called in such cases.
What are the short and long-term effects Ephedrine HCL?
There are various side effects of Ephedrine HCL, which are enumerated below:
- Rare chances(about 0.01%) of Myocardial infarction
- Palpitations, reactive hypertension, bradycardia, ventricular ectopics, R-R variability, pallor, angina/anginal pain.
- Hypertension, hypotension, extrasystole, arrhythmias, vasodilation with low blood pressure, flushing, impaired circulation to extremities
- Difficult or painful urination and acute urinary retention
- Dizziness, headache, trembling, lightheadedness, tremor, and sedation.
- Dryness of the nose, throat, shortness of breath, respiratory difficulty, dyspnea, and respiratory depression.
- Restlessness, addiction, nervousness, anxiety.
- Mood or mental changes, fear, irritability, confusion, delirium, euphoria, psychotic states, tension, hallucinations
- Fever, precordial pain, tachyphylaxis, drug tolerance, drug dependence
- Excess sweating.
The following precautions need to be followed while taking Ephedrine HCL:
- Ephedrine may lead to dizziness. So it is recommended to avoid doing any activity that needs you to remain alert such as driving or operating heavy machinery. Because of this reason, you should avoid taking alcohol while under the medication, to avoid any reaction.
- In case you contract fever and it doesn’t improve within 7 days you need to seek the medical attention immediately.
- If you face sleeping issues, you need to ask your doctor the right time to have this medicine.
- You must avoid diet or appetite control medicine when you are under this medication.
- Inform the doctor about all the prescription or non-prescription medicines you are taking so that if they also contain ephedrine as an ingredient, then he can advise you to change your dosage to prevent any side-effects.
- Diabetes patients need to be careful as this drug tends to affect your blood sugar levels. So tell this to your doctor and have a regular blood sugar check-up so that the dose can be adjusted accordingly.
- Elderly people may face severing consequences of this medicine so it cautiousness should be observed while they are taking the medicine. In the case of children also extreme caution is needed.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding ladies should avoid taking this drug as it can affect the unborn or pass through the breast milk to cause unwanted side effects in the newborn baby.
- If you are allergic to the medicine, you should avoid it.
- If you do not have asthma or have asthma and use the prescription medicines, or have been ever hospitalized for the same reason, then also you need to avoid it.
- If you are taking a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor such as phenelzine, now or had taken it in the past 14 days or if you do not know if your prescription drug contains an MAO inhibitor, then you should consult your physician before taking this medicine.
- Persons having high blood pressure, heart problems such as an irregular heartbeat, thyroid disease, or difficulty in urination due to prostate gland enlargement must avoid this drug.
How to get Ephedrine HCL prescription?
By checking your medical condition, the doctor may prescribe for Ephedrine HCL. You can buy it from our store without a prescription, though we strongly recommend you to avoid taking the drug without a physician’s guidance as you can suffer because of its extreme side-effects on doing so.
What is the legal status of Ephedrine HCL?
FDA had banned the ephedrine alkaloids that were marketed for reasons other than the medical conditions such as asthma, colds, allergies, another disease, or traditional Asian use. It is even banned by NCAA, MLB, NFL, and PGA. But in certain applications outside the dietary supplements, it is legal.